Dogs are pack animals. They want nothing more than to be with their loved ones at all times. Summer is a great time to bring your pup along on some of your outings. Here are some ideas for fun-in-the-sun summer activities for dogs that you both can enjoy. Below are the 7 things to do with your dog in the summer:
- Take a hike — Exploring new trails is one of the best things to do with your dog in the summer. Not only is it great exercise, but it's also mentally stimulating for your pooch to take in new scents and sights.
- Go for a romp on a beach — Does your dog love the water? Then it's time to search out a pet-friendly beach where your pup can swim in the surf and romp on the sand with his fellow salty dogs.
- Dine al fresco— When the weather is nice, make sure to enjoy a yappy hour or a leisurely dinner at a restaurant with a dog-friendly patio.
- Enjoy a kayak, canoe or paddleboard ride — There's something so relaxing about floating on a peaceful river or lake with your pup. It's also fun to stop and explore any islands or sand bars you might encounter while kayaking with your dog.
- Get away from it all — Ever get bored of doing the same old thing all the time? Your dog probably does, too. This summer, why not plan a special vacation for the two of you? No matter what kind of trip you plan — whether it's camping in a tent or staying at a pet-friendly resort — your canine is going to be absolutely delighted just to be spending uninterrupted time by your side.
- Set up a kiddie pool — Purchasing a cheap plastic pool for your pooch is an excellent investment, especially if there aren't many places to take dogs swimming near your home. On a hot summer day, a kiddie pool can be a fast and easy way for your hot dog to cool down.
- Strike a pose — If you have an older dog or one who doesn't like to expend a lot of energy when the temperatures rise, you can still enjoy some fun in the sun. Find an interesting (preferably shady) location where you can take photos of your pup. For the best pictures, make sure to get down to your dog's eye level.
Below are some ideas for indoor activities for dogs on hot days;
- Teach your pooch some new tricks or make them brush their older ones.
- You can also set up a puzzle and make them find their food through their strong sense of smell, like a tricky treat.
- You can also give them some tasks, numerous active dog breeds love to do work for their owner.
Do's and Don'ts for Summer Dog Activities
Steamy summer weather can be hard on dogs, too. Here are some suggestions for keeping your precious pooch in good shape throughout the dog days. And also enjoy dog-friendly summer activities with your furry.
- Don't allow your dog to overexert itself when the temperatures and dew points are high. Also, make sure to keep an eye out for signs of heat exhaustion, such as excessive panting or drooling, vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy.
- If you and your pup will be engaging in any water-related activities, remember to carry a towel. Bacteria or algae that can be harmful if a dog should lick its fur after swimming in a lake, and ocean sand and salt can cling to its coat. After taking your dog to the beach or lake make sure to wash and dry it as soon as possible. The Absorber is one of the best towels to tidy active canines because it’s lightweight, super absorbent and small enough to easily fit into a backpack.
- Your dog should always wear a life vest while swimming or on any type of watercraft. Even a dog who is a strong swimmer could tire if it were to get caught in a riptide or fall overboard.
By engaging in these fun summer dog activities, you're sure to strengthen the bond between you and your furry best friend and also create many fond memories that will last you a lifetime.